Senior Naval Architect - NAiAD
NAIAD is a global RHIB business born in NZ’s extreme maritime environment. NAIAD creates rough water, specialised Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boats (RHIBs) that experts trust up to 24m in length. For business and pleasure, for pioneers and professionals, Naiad is for those who operate in the extremes.
NAIAD handles the ocean like nothing you have ever experienced, which is why rescue and patrol agencies, tour operators, and maritime specialists choose NAIAD.
Over 40 years NAIAD has earned a reputation for high performance hull design and strength, extreme efficiency, soft-riding to reduce crew-fatigue, and unique end-user design centric features such as removable and easily replaceable fenders. We are in growth mode and need your expertise to grow the range of production and bespoke boats, seeking innovative and forward thinking solutions.
NAIAD is based in beautiful Picton, New Zealand, in the heart of the Marlborough sound. This exceptional opportunity presents a rewarding role within a regional seafront town, offering both amazing lifestyle and career opportunities. The role is preferably site-based, however remote working will be considered for the right candidate.
The NAIAD team includes a small team of naval architects, marine designers and technical staff committed to technical high-quality designs and services, and enjoy working in a professional and collegial work environment.
NAIAD is seeking a Senior Naval Architect with preliminary, detail and production design experience supporting hull design, shipboard marine systems
design, and construction and modification projects. The senior Naval Architect will ideally have technical ship design and project management experience and experience working with shipyards. Project management, communication and collaboration skills are required to fully integrate with Multidisciplinary teams including shipyard design and production engineers, subcontractors as well as commercial and government stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Lead conceptual, detail and new vessel and vessel modification design projects, and resolve technical problems,
- Perform calculations to support design decisions and quality check calculations to ensure final products meet quality standards and contract standards and requirements,
- Work with multidisciplinary staff. Assist and mentor junior engineers and working closely with AutoCAD and other modelling software,
- Participate in client meetings and develop successful working relationships to grow the NAIAD business, and
- Occasional travel for builder and/or client engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, or related field required. Current Chartered Engineering professional preferred.
- Experience as a naval architect creating new vessel and modification designs, including ship structures design/analysis, hull form development, arrangements, stability, powering, or seakeeping analysis is required.
- Desire to proactively investigate and resolve technical design and project issues including changes to scope of work, delivery time-tables and resources.
- Expertise in Finite Element Analysis software packages, first principles structural analysis and rule-based structural engineering is highly desirable.
- Proficiency using AutoCAD and experience required.
- Experience using 3D CAD (Rhino, Solidworks, inventor etc.) desirable.
- Experience with hydrostatics and resistance/propulsion calculations using software packages such as GHS, ORCA 3D, SHCP, MAXSURF or NavCad, is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience researching and applying classification Rules, N.Z Maritime rules, U.S Coastguard, AMSA and military and/or commercial technical standards required.
- Shipyard experience preferred.
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills to complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time.
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required.
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations, and communicating results and/or challenges.
- A desire to find innovative solutions to meet customer or industry boating needs.
email@example.com or 03 573 7246