North Sails looking to fill the role of Apprentice Sailmaker/ Sailmakers Assistant at our Auckland, New Zealand loft. The Sailmaker Assistant helps with detailing sails during the layout stage of production, sewing seams and detailing to sails. Working as part of a small close knit team you will have options to expand your skills and knowledge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sewing different types and weights of nylon, polyester, laminate and molded fabrics/textiles
- Applying patching and reinforcements to spinnakers
- Cleaning and maintaining your machines
- Patching and preparing items to be sewn to sails
- Checking your work against other products
- Cleaning your work areas
- Experience in commercial sewing is a bonus (can provide training for the right candidate)
- Work efficiently and accurately
- Attention to fine details
- Work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Team friendly
- Must have a valid work Visa or be a NZ Citizen.
- Good written and spoken English